Special Events & Permits

Checklist for Events

Here's a quick list of the steps needed for a successful event in Lincolnton, NC!

  1. Click on this link to submit a Special Events Permit Application - the earlier the better. This is required a minimum of 45 days prior to your event, and should be submitted as early as possible in your planning, even if you are still working out some logistics. This starts the process of reserving your date and coordinating city services to support your activity. Please use the online form link to the right!

  2. EVERY event should have a Special Events Permit Application submitted. Even if you don't think you will need city services like road closures, garbage collection or police security, the event application makes sure everyone is aware of your activity. 

  3. The Special Events Permit places your event or activity on the community calendar.

  4. If your event will close or impact traffic on Main Street (NC27) you will need a NC Department of Transportation Event Request and approval. We generally manage this process for you, including letters of support, submitting the request and supporting documents to NCDOT and any other communications. However, the NCDOT form can take some time, so make sure this is considered early in your process. 

  5. If you will sample, serve, sell or have any beer, wine or alcohol at your event, you must have an ABC permit from the NC Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission. You will also need a formal contract with the City of Lincolnton for this activity, which must be approved by City Council and will be completed and signed after your Event Permit is approved.

  6. You must have liability insurance for your event; Lincolnton and NCDOT require General Liability, Each Occurance: minimum amount of $1,000,000. The City of Lincolnton must be named as an additional insured party for your event. If the event will close Main Street (NC-27), the State of North Carolina and the NC Department of Transportation must also be named as additional insured parties. 

  7. Depending on the type of event, you may need to have a release waiver for participants. This is generally true for fun runs, 5K's and other race or athletic events.

  8. Other things to consider - Will you need Port-a-Cans? Public address or other sound system? Lighting or other stage equipment? The city does not provide these items and you will need to rent them directly from independent vendors. The city does have a stage available for rent to approved events, but all other stage services (lights, sound, roof cover) will need to be provided by outside vendors.

  9. Fees - There is no fee for an event permit, but based on the size/scale and number of anticipated attendees there may be fees for services provided by the city. Please see the city's Fee Schedule for details on how fees are calculated and charged. 

  10. If you have questions or need help, call or email and we'll be happy to help!